Our friendly team are always available to answer queries or provide quotations but here are some frequently asked questions which we hope will be helpful:
- Can I provisionally book a wedding date with you?
- Do you book the registrars on my behalf?
- What happens if it rains on the day and I have booked an outside wedding ceremony?
- How much deposit is required?
- Are other guests allowed in the hotel during a wedding?
- If I am not sure if we can fill the required bedroom allocation what can I do?
- Do you charge for table numbers and stands, cake stand, cake knife, linen, cutlery, glassware or staff?
- Can I decorate my own tables for the banquet or do you do it?
- Can we provide our own disco, band or entertainment or our own food and drink?
- Can I just have a buffet and not have the formal sit down meal?
- Do you allow wedding fireworks displays at The Fox and Hounds Hotel?
1. Can I provisionally book a wedding date with you? Yes we can hold a date up to 14 days provisionally and if we get another enquiry during that time you will have first option to confirm or release the date.
2. Do you book the registrars on my behalf? No, it is a legal requirement to prove your identity and give notice of marriage so you will need to contact the Mid Devon registrars yourself and confirm what time you would like the wedding ceremony. They offer services from 8am until midnight and you pay their fees directly to the registry service.
3. What happens if it rains on the day and I have booked an outside wedding ceremony? Included in the tariff is use of our large outdoor parasols to shelter guests in case of poor weather (up to 80 guests). Our indoor chapel is also available as a back up on the day, in case of a last minute storm or even snow!
4. How much deposit is required? To confirm a date with us a £1,500 deposit is required and a copy of our signed Terms & Conditions returned to us. Upon receipt of both, we will allocate a block booking of bedrooms to be held for your guests until an agreed date to ensure your wedding guests have first priority on room bookings.
5. Are other guests allowed in the hotel during a wedding? No, all areas you have booked for your service, wedding breakfast and evening reception are exclusively for your use and if your guests have taken all our bedrooms there are no other guests in the hotel. If you do not fill all the rooms other guests are informed the bar and dining areas are closed for a private function and will not disturb you.
6. If I am not sure if we can fill the required bedroom allocation what can I do? Talk to us! we can be flexible and the minimum room requirement is in place on weekend dates as we would not have any dining or bar facilities available to non-wedding guests coming for a break. We are a fairly small hotel and the more rooms taken by the wedding party the better but depending on the time of year and wedding date we can be flexible.
7. Do you charge for table numbers and stands, cake stand, cake knife, linen, cutlery, glassware or staff? No ! If you have over 150 guests for the evening, then licensed security staff are necessary, so these are the only extra costs which might be incurred.
8. Can I decorate my own tables for the banquet or do you do it? Both – you are most welcome to decorate yourself or we can provide our Wedding Table kit and do it all for you. Wherever possible we will set up the wedding banquet tables a day in advance for you to decorate at your leisure.
9. Can we provide our own disco, band or entertainment or our own food and drink? Your own DJ or band is welcome so long as they can prove they have valid Public Liability Insurance. Only the wedding cake can be provided by outside caterers (our food is excellent so we do all the catering) and if you supply alcohol yourselves there would be a corkage charge levied. See our Terms & Conditions for more information on providing entertainment and corkage.
10. Can I just have a buffet and not have the formal sit down meal? Yes, depending on your chosen date and day of the week so please enquire and we will be happy to advise. If you want something informal or a little different just ask – over the years we have had BBQ weddings with the bride arriving in the shovel of a combine harvester, a Mad Hatter’s Tea Party wedding, a Masquerade Ball wedding, a Gothic Wedding and many other unusual ideas.
11. Do you allow wedding fireworks displays at The Fox and Hounds Hotel? – YES ! But we only allow professional companies with third party liability insurance to perform fireworks displays here. DMR Pyro have experience of firing shows at our hotel are our preferred supplier. They can offer a complete turnkey display for you fitting your colours, taste and budget.